Research Paper Volume 12, Issue 8 pp 6630—6643
γ-Mangostin isolated from Garcinia mangostana L. suppresses inflammation and alleviates symptoms of osteoarthritis via modulating miR-124-3p/IL-6/NF-κB signaling
- 1 Department of Orthopedics, Shuang Ho Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 23561, Taiwan
- 2 School of Nutrition and Health Sciences, College of Nutrition, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
- 3 Research Center of Geriatric Nutrition, College of Nutrition, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
- 4 Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, School of Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
- 5 Department of Orthopedics, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
- 6 Department of Medical Research and Education, Taipei Medical University - Shuang Ho Hospital, New Taipei 23561, Taiwan
- 7 Department of Health Care Management, Yuanpei University of Medical Technology, Hsinchu 30015, Taiwan
- 8 The Division of Translational Medicine, Graduate Institute of Biomedical Informatics, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
- 9 Graduate Institute of Biomedical Informatics, College of Medical Science and Technology, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
- 10 Graduate Institute for Cancer Biology and Drug Discovery, College of Medical Science and Technology, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
- 11 Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Shuang Ho Hospital, Taipei Medical University, New Taipei 23561, Taiwan
Received: September 21, 2019 Accepted: March 2, 2020 Published: April 16, 2020https://doi.org/10.18632/aging.103003
How to Cite
Copyright © 2020 Chiu et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Osteoarthritis (OA) a disease associated with joints and become severe with age, due to softening, inflammation and degradation of cartilage in joints. The agents that can target OA is needed, specifically without any side effects. Garcinia mangostana L. (Mangosteen) a tropical fruit used to treat many skin and stomach associated ailments. γ- Mangostin (γ-MS) a key bioactive substance present in mangosteen. Here, we aimed to explore γ-MS potential in targeting the pro-inflammatory cytokine, factors and miRs in OA progression. Significantly, γ-MS suppresses the inflammatory cytokines (IL-6, TNF-α, and INF- γ) and factors (NF-κB, STAT3, and COX-2) which regulates/participate in the catabolic process of cartilage destruction. Result of Hematoxylin-eosin (H&E) staining of tissue sections of OA joints of γ-MS treated and non-treated mice confirm γ-MS improves the signs of injuries, and maintains the structural integrity of the articular cartilage (epiphyseal disk joints and bone marrow) and reduces inflammation. Mechanistically, γ-MS targets miR-98-5p and miR-124-3p which are found to suppress the expression IL-6 and NF-κB, respectively. But in OA these miRs are inhibited, especially miR-124-3p which regulates not only NF-κB but also TNF-α, IL-6 and MMP7. With a further investigation underway, γ-MS represents an important source for treating and managing OA.
OA: Osteoarthritis; γ-MS: γ- Mangostin; H & E: Hematoxylin-eosin.