Research Paper Volume 11, Issue 22 pp 10374—10384
Hypoxia-induced microRNA-10b-3p promotes esophageal squamous cell carcinoma growth and metastasis by targeting TSGA10
- 1 Department of Oncology, First Hospital of Qinhuangdao, Qinhuangdao, China
- 2 Department of CT Scan Room, First Hospital of Qinhuangdao, Qinhuangdao, China
- 3 Department of Gastroenterology, Affiliated Tumor Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University, Urumqi, China
- 4 Department of Thoracic and Abdominal Radiotherapy, Affiliated Tumor Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University, Urumqi, China
- 5 Department of Oncology, First Hospital of Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
- 6 Department of Surgery, Traditional Chinese Hospital of Lu'an, Lu'an, Anhui, China
- 7 Department of Oncology, First Hospital of Shijiazhuang, Shijiazhuang, China
received: July 13, 2019 ; accepted: November 8, 2019 ; published: November 26, 2019 ;https://doi.org/10.18632/aging.102462
How to Cite
Copyright © 2019 Zhang et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Evidence has shown that hypoxia promotes esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) growth and metastasis, but the molecular mechanisms underlying that response remain poorly understood. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are post-transcriptional regulators that participate in various cancer-related processes. Here, we demonstrated that hypoxia along with hypoxia-inducible factor 1α significantly increased expression of miR-10b-3p. Inhibition of miR-10b-3p weakened the effects of hypoxia on ESCC cell proliferation, migration and invasion, while miR-10b-3p overexpression had the opposite effects. Mechanistically, miR-10b-3p acted as cancer-promoting gene by targeting testis specific 10. Using a xenograft model, we observed that administration of miR-10b-3p agomir to tumors enhanced their growth and metastasis in vivo. These findings verified the potent regulatory role played by hypoxia-induced miR-10b-3p expression in ESCC progression. These results suggest that miR-10b-3p may be a useful therapeutic target for treating ESCC.
ESCC: esophageal squamous cell carcinoma; miRNAs: microRNAs; HIF-1α: hypoxia-inducible factor 1α; TSGA10: testis specific 10; FBS: fetal bovine serum.