Research Paper Volume 11, Issue 23 pp 11463—11473
LncRNA EPIC1 downregulation mediates hydrogen peroxide-induced neuronal cell injury
- 1 Department of Anesthesiology, Huai’an Maternity and Child Healthcare Hospital, Yangzhou University Medical School, Huai’an, China
- 2 Department of Neurosurgery, The Affiliated Huai’an Hospital of Xuzhou Medical University, Huai’an, China
- 3 The Central Lab, North District, Suzhou Municipal Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University, Suzhou, China
- 4 Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Affiliated Kunshan Hospital to Jiangsu University, Kunshan, China
- 5 Department of Anesthesiology, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital and Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research and The Affiliated Cancer of Hospital Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
received: September 7, 2019 ; accepted: November 19, 2019 ; published: December 8, 2019 ;https://doi.org/10.18632/aging.102545
How to Cite
Copyright © 2019 Sun et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Excessive oxidative stress causes neuronal cell injury. Long non-coding RNA (LncRNA) EPIC1 (Lnc-EPIC1) is a MYC-interacting LncRNA. Its expression and potential functions in hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)-stimulated neuronal cells are studied. In SH-SY5Y neuronal cells and primary human neuron cultures, H2O2 downregulated Lnc-EPIC1 and key MYC targets (Cyclin A1, CDC20 and CDC45). Ectopic overexpression of Lnc-EPIC1 increased expression of MYC targets and significantly attenuated H2O2-induced neuronal cell death and apoptosis. Contrarily, Lnc-EPIC1 siRNA potentiated neuronal cell death by H2O2. MYC knockout by CRISPR/Cas9 method also facilitated H2O2-induced SH-SY5Y cell death. Significantly, MYC knockout abolished Lnc-EPIC1-induced actions in H2O2-stimulated neuronal cells. Together, these results suggest that Lnc-EPIC1 downregulation mediates H2O2-induced neuronal cell death.
CNS: central nerve system; FBS: fetal bovine serum; H2O2: hydrogen peroxide; LDH: lactate dehydrogenase; LncRNA: long non-coding RNA; Lnc-EPIC1: LncRNA EPIC1; qPCR: quantitative real-time PCR assay; OD: optical density; ssDNA: single strand DNA; SD: standard deviation.