Research Paper Volume 12, Issue 3 pp 2373—2392
UBE2M promotes cell proliferation via the β-catenin/cyclin D1 signaling in hepatocellular carcinoma
- 1 Department of Gastroenterology, Central South University Xiangya School of Medicine Affiliated Haikou Hospital, Haikou 570100, China
- 2 Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200030, China
- 3 Shanghai Institute of Liver Diseases, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200030, China
- 4 Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Hainan General Hospital, Haikou 570100, China
- 5 Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Central South University Xiangya School of Medicine Affiliated Haikou Hospital, Haikou 570100, China
- 6 Department of Gastroenterology, Hainan General Hospital, Haikou 570100, China
received: September 13, 2019 ; accepted: January 7, 2020 ; published: February 3, 2020 ;https://doi.org/10.18632/aging.102749
How to Cite
Copyright © 2020 Zhang et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Upregulated ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme E2M (UBE2M) is associated with poor prognosis in malignancies; However, the phenotype and mechanism of action of UBE2M in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) remain elusive. Here, we report that UBE2M is overexpressed and correlated with poor prognosis in HCC patients. The UBE2M level is an independent prognostic factor for HCC patients. UBE2M knockdown inhibits HCC cell proliferation, migration, and invasion, whereas its overexpression has an opposite effect. Mechanistically, upregulated UBE2M exerts oncogenic effects by translocation of accumulated β-catenin from the cytoplasm to the nucleus, thus activating downstream β-catenin/cyclin D1 signaling. In summary, our study demonstrates a notable role of UBE2M in promoting the growth of HCC, providing a novel strategy for HCC prevention and treatment.
UBE2M: Ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme E2M; HCC: hepatocellular carcinoma; TCGA: The Cancer Genome Atlas; DMEM: Dulbecco's modified Eagle's medium; FBS: fetal bovine serum; qPCR: quantitative real- time PCR; OS: overall survival; DFS: disease-free survival; IHC: immunohistochemistry; co-IP: co-Immunoprecipitation; CCK-8: Cell Counting Kit-8.